Saturday, January 5, 2013

Farewell 2012

I really wanted to keep up with my blog posts last year, and well I failed to do so. It’s another new year, so I’ll do better this year! Well we’ll see. I also have this feeling that every time I blog about running, I end up being injured shortly after. A little knocking on wood can’t hurt, right?

Looking briefly back at some of the 2012 highlights, I never ran a PR marathon but officially got some new PR times in shorter distance races, and did relatively well in my age group at several races. It was nice to see some progress, albeit interspersed with an injury here and there. After running Grandma’s Marathon in June, I ran the Chicago Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon in July, Paavo Nurmi Marathon in August (Hurley, WI), and then a nice little Grant Park Turkey Trot 5K in November to close out the year.  I pulled out of Chicago Marathon due to me recovering from some nagging pains I had going into Paavo. Sadly, this past year would have been a great year to run Chicago because of excellent conditions, but that’s how it goes.

In September, I registered for Boston and was accepted almost immediately. It was an exciting moment I had been looking forward to for some, but coming off of an injury and being burned out on having run several marathons earlier in the year, the occasion was perhaps more lackluster than it should have been. Or perhaps it was simply surreal finally being accepted to Boston after previous attempts to both qualify and then get accepted in the registration process.

2012 was an interesting year, and a good year to remember as far as running knowledge gained.  Part of me feels like 2011 was an awesome year because I had improved so much so fast, yet I was discovering quite a bit about running that year (even though I have been running for much longer).  2011 was almost certainly bound to be a good year for me regardless of how it ended up. And I didn’t want 2011 to end. 2012 came fast however, and before I knew it I was sidelined with a stress fracture.  In the end, this has been a year of growth in at least the maturity department. I got away with quite a bit in 2011, maybe it was luck, but it all caught up to me in ’12. Before long, I knew in my heart ’12 was not going to be the year for marathon PR’s, so I started looking forward to the end of the year.

But I got back into a decent groove by November and was running regularly, and aside from some lingering stuff, I felt pretty great. December was about the same, and finished out the year doing my last few runs on vacation on a hot and humid Puerto Rican golf course next to our hotel. It was sweaty, but it was nice to see the sun. I guess looking back 2012 was a pretty good year, despite some of the down’s that must always accompany the up’s.

And here we are.  Happy New Year.  So long and farewell 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment