Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Down but Not Out

It is damn easy to get down on yourself when things break down.  After all, I put 14 weeks into training for a marathon at the end of this month.  And that included many days of running out in the freezing cold wind, rain, snow, and sleet, running over snow, ice, slush, etc.  A lot of time and work went into this training program, and now less than 4 weeks remain.  Okay, so I deserve to complain a little bit (right?), but I know I shouldn’t dwell on it for too long.  Those are the breaks.

On the plus side, I have come to know a great deal more about my capabilities, limits, what to look out for, when to back off, and what kinds of goals are realistic.  At the start of this 18-week program, having just finished a great season and setting a new PR last October, I was very uncertain about what might lie ahead, where I would end up, what else I could achieve.  But now I realize I am tapping new potential.  So many of my training runs this winter were literally (unofficial) PR’s, topping nearly every distance race I’ve ever run.  That felt great.  I have never been so motivated about running.  …perhaps why I started logging more info and blogging more recently.  I was excited.

So, okay, I hit a bump, but now I have a pretty good grasp about what I can do.  And when to pull the horses back, and rest a little.  If it turns out that I’m unable to run on race day, or unable to run with the desired preparation, then there are always more races ahead.  That’s the good thing about races.  Plenty more lie ahead.  I’ve built a pretty good base, ideally I won’t lose that, entirely – fingers crossed.  When it is time to move forward again, the engines will be revving.  After all, we wouldn’t be crazy runners if we just gave up at the first sign of trouble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment