Sunday, March 27, 2011

Here comes the Sun

Ran along a chilly but very beautiful 22 miles of Chicago lakefront today.  The temp was right around 30 degrees with a constant 10 to 15 mph ENE wind coming off the lake, but the blue skies and bright sun made it feel like a nice spring day, at least at a few spots where the path turned westward rather than north, south, or east – not a lot of places.  My brain is ready for spring, so I’ll take what I can get to fool it once in a while.  The training plan called for 20 miles and so that meant 22 to me because, well, just because.  Nothing really shocking to see today, and overall it was a pretty quiet 3 hours.  There were some people sailing today, which to me seemed more strange than running 22 miles in the chilly air.  But I am thankful for seeing a little sun.  My log details:  “Good run overall. A bit sore from the past week, but otherwise in good shape, nothing really hurts - just tight, sore, tired. Cooler day at around 30 degrees, steady ENE wind at 10 to 15 mph, but very sunny and blue. Nice day except for the wind. Tried to keep a pace at about 8:08/mile and even though my average was pretty dead-on, I did get pretty tired the last few miles today. I feel that I am / will be recovering from the past week for a couple days. A good run.”  I tend to focus on the weather a lot, but it certainly does affect how well you feel and how well you run, generally.  Cooler temps are definitely more suitable for running, but I am now ready for some 40’s and 50’s!  I realized I’ve run my highest number of miles in 1 week (broke 60 miles), which is a new mini-achievement to stoke me up.  Also ran one of my best 10k’s in training this past week – that felt great!  But this all has used up my energy.  I'm certainly feeling a little beaten down and sore, and ready for some food and recuperation.  Now for some downtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment